By our reporter 20.8.2026
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle will relocate from their seaside Montecito home in California USA and settle down in the UK for the time being.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will retreat to a private non-royal residence outside London within the next few days. Their kids Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet have been enrolled to start school in September.
The move by Prince Harry according to royal experts is to enable him to be close to his family especially his father King Charles; but allies of US President Donald Trump have claimed that the Sussexes are leaving the US because of their dislike of Mr. Trump
“They are moving back to Britain because they don’t like President Trump,” Katie Miller, the wife of White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller wrote on X social media.
She claimed that Meghan “always just wanted to be a celebrity” and the couple were “broke.”
Conservative media personality Megyn Kelly also commented: “We’ve done our time here in America my dear friend!” she wrote on X, replying to right-wing commentator Dan Wootton’s post about the “Megxit” being “reversed.”
Harry married Meghan Markle in a ceremony at Windsor Castle in 2018, but it was not long before cracks in their relationship with the rest of the royal family began to emerge. Two years later in March 2020, they announced they would step down from official duties and move to the U.S., saying they wanted to move away from the intense press scrutiny they faced in Britain.
In the following years, Harry, now 41, and Meghan, 45, repeatedly criticised the royal family and the monarchy in TV interviews, a Netflix (NFLX.O), opens new tab documentary series and, most notably, in Harry’s memoir “Spare”.
During a 2021 interview the couple gave to Oprah Winfrey, Meghan, whose mother is Black, said an unnamed member of the family had asked how dark their son Archie’s skin might be. Heir-to-the-throne Prince William, Harry’s elder brother, responded by denying that Britain’s royals were racist.
Harry had some particularly barbed comments for his father, Charles, and Prince William, leading to a total breakdown in their relationship.
But relations with the king appeared to be thawing in September, and father and son met briefly for the first time in 20 months. Charles was diagnosed with an unspecified type of cancer in 2024. He announced on television last December that he had responded “exceptionally well” to treatment.
Last month, Harry, Meghan and their children visited Britain, and Charles saw his grandchildren for the first time since 2022.
While Harry and the king’s relationship might have improved, he is still barely on speaking terms with his brother.
British minister Lucy Powell, talking to the BBC on Thursday, said it was good news, adding that she hoped “the reconciliation with the family continues because I think that’s good for the country … to send out that signal”. With agency reports


